Conclude your work on photography and time by reflecting on the role of photography in the work you’ve just looked at – and similar projects.
In the photography section of the course, we have looked at the following photos/artworks:
It’s About Time
– Photographs from the 1800s that required several minutes exposure time
– Cousin Bichonnade In Flight by Jacques-Henri Lartigue
– Passing Place by Derek Trillo (2006)
– Bullet and Apple by Harold Edgerton (c.1964)
– Multiflash Tennis Serve by Harold Edgerton (1949)
– Jockey on a Galloping Horse by Eadweard Muybridge (1887)
– Benzie Building by Derek Trillo … Read the rest
The sequential nature of documenting a journey is illustrated by classic ‘road trip’ series such as Paul Graham’s A1 project, Stephen Shore’s American Surfaces, Alec Soth’s Sleeping by the Mississippi and Robert Frank’s The Americans.
Go online and find out more about the bodies of work listed above.
Paul Graham – A1 project
The A1 project was carried out in 1981 and 1982 by Graham, and was a road trip up and down the A1 (The Great North Road that linked the north and south of England), documenting life in areas around the A1 through photographs. The pictures … Read the rest